Welcome back. You belong here. I’m shooting-from-the-hip but here goes.
Questions I’m asking #1 – 32…
1. We are exiting the postmodern and entering a new world dominated by genetic engineering. What shape will the gospel take when men no longer die?
2. Why do people still get excited about being postmodern when as followers of Jesus, we’re from the future?
3. There are a lot of articles explaining how Pastors or churches should go about hiring staff. Does this point to the fact that we have lost the essence of what it means to be the church?
4. What is the gospel?
5. What is the mission of the church?
6. What shape will the gospel take when mankind first encounters intelligent extraterrestrial life?
7. The greatest persecutors of the Christ following faith in America are Christians. When and why did this happen?
8. What shape will the gospel take when there is a universal acceptance of Evolution? Welcome to the future.
9. What shape will science and technology take when they can’t discover an evil gene?
10. What will it mean to be human when the first robot wakes up?
11. Will Human clones be fertile and capable of reproducing? What shape will the gospel take when the time comes to reach the second generation of clones?
12. Why should the gospel be shaped at all by any of the above? How will the gospel shape humanity in any of the scenarios listed above [or below]?
13. How can I move back to LA?
14. Why does it seem that all the most “successful” pastors in America are either CEO’s, TV stars or celebrities, but in China they are scarred apostles?
15. Is it OK to view the evangelical population of America as a market with a hunger to buy worship music and pop theology?
16. A missionary once said to me that they wanted to build an orphanage in a certain country –but not in a certain city in that country because she wouldn’t want to raise her children there. Is there a difference between a good deed and a gut wrenching calling?
17. Once a deacon and finance director of the church told me –in a budget crunch — that there were things he just would not do [like cleaning bathrooms]. How do people like this get to the highest places of church leadership?
18. What do I have to be able to do to live in London? And make it possible for my friends to move there with me? Boston? Miami?
19. Could George Bush be right when he says that Islam is a religion of peace!?
20. If we presented the gospel to Osama Bin Laden and he refused to believe. Would it be right to shoot him?
21. Pacifists like to quote Jesus: he who lives by the sword dies by the sword. That’s not the whole of it though. Jesus forgot to mention that plenty of people who did NOT live by the sword also died by the sword. In either case, is there a place for swords in a Christ following worldview? Jesus was a Jew and shared in their martial tradition. Was Jesus really a pacifist?
22. Sure monogamy seems to be the preferred marital relationship in scripture, but is polygamy always wrong and unbiblical?
23. The Reformation was more a product of Gutenberg’s printing press than it was about Luther’s thesis. How would the Church have evolved towards the gospel if the world had never heard of Luther or Calvin?
24. How can fresh theological frameworks emerge from the soil of the 21st century and not simply be regurgitations of 16th and 17th century theology?
25. How will the gospel be shaped when our latent psychic powers are proven beyond a shadow of a doubt?
26. Universalism and Predeterminism (a la uber Calvinists) are kissing cousins. They approach God’s sovereignty and man’s freedom the same way. God determines in eternity the paths men “choose” to take. The only difference is that Univeralism’s God saves everyone and Calvin’s randomly elects to condemn some and requires that he be praised for not condeming everybody. Does this make sense after reading John 3.16?
27. Why can’t I ever leave well enough alone?
28. If the sweetest, most authentic moments for a church plant are the momentum building, evangelism, laughter and community that occur before the doors are open for an official launch, why ever, ever open the doors?
29. When genetically enhanced IQs become available, will that create a “status” gap between those who can afford to “enhance” their children and those who cannot? Could the gap become so large [IQ, physical features, talents, other capacities] that a segment of humanity [most likely the poor and some of the middle class] become like cattle?
30. If you lived in a world where the IQ gap was severe, would that be a prerequisite when it came to dating?
31. If during the last century, the world moved to the cities, why did the American church move to the suburbs?
32. Why did Jesus say, “go and make disciples of all nations…”? Couldn’t he have just said, go and disciple the neighbors?
What are you thinking about?
See you in the mystic…
Get your free blog at voxtropolis.com
Leave a Reply to Sam. Cancel reply