By Steve Shehan, Violaine Corradi, Stephen Hussey, Ion Tanase, Didier Malherbe, Marcial Heredia FernÃ¡ndez, English Chamber Orchestra [members of], Tara Harrison, Carmen Piculeata, Chandru
The Seven Ways [“Action Logics”] of Leadership
- The Opportunist –wins any way possible
- The Diplomat –avoids overt conflict
- The Expert –rules by logic and experience
- The Achiever–meets strategic goals
- The Individualist–Interweaves competing personal and company action logics
- The Strategist— generates organizational and personal transformations
- The Alchemist–generates social transformation
The Alchemist integrates material, spiritual, and societal transformation. Their strength is leading “society-wide transformations. 1% profiled at this action logic. They differ from the Strategist in their ability to “reinvent themselves and their organizations in historically significant ways.” These leaders are a rare find in any industry.
From a very small sample, the writers of this article in the HBR described Alchemists as
- engaged in multiple organizations yet not overly burdened
- able to deal with immediate issues and keep focused on long-term goals
- typically charismatic and extremely aware individuals who live by high moral standards
- focusing intensely on truth
- able to speak with both kings and commoners
- able to capture unique moments for their organization
Nelson Mandela is offered as an example of an Alchemist. In 1995 Mandela walked out onto the field and stood wearing the “enemy” Jersey of a rugby team that was hated by black south Africans and at the same time raised a clenched fist salute of the ANC. Almost impossibly Mandela appealed to both blacks and whites at the same time.
What do you think?
- What price are we willing to pay to lead the kinds of lives that make the world a better place for others?
- I would guess that most of us already know the change the spirit wants to bring in our lives. What keeps us from letting go and stepping into a new dimension of discipleship and leadership?
Leadership Learning Alert
Eric Bryant, whom I consider the country’s leading trainer in the Character Matrix, is leading a one week online class starting Monday, April 18. For those of you in the IMN process the class is included in your tuition. Other leaders, however, can also participate for a fee. If you know of pastors, church planters, leaders, disciplers who could use some training or need some interaction with an innovative leader, encourage them to enroll at http://www.internationalmentoringnetwork.com and click on “Mentoring Network”.
Coming up…Evolving as a Leader
Into the Mystic…
Los Angeles, Ca
Leave a Reply